Donate Us

Help us keep this free site alive with a small contribution from you. Select an amount below.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

I received a disturbing message from Pam Bloom, currently traveling in Israel:
I'm in Israel right now and was unable to use my Chase debit card at 3 machines. I called Chase. I was informed that I could not set up a "travel notification" for Israel due to Israel being on "list of restricted countries". When pressed, what that meant, they said that Israel was high risk. When pressed, they cited high risk for fraud. Following my call, about an hour later I tried again, my card worked, for 400 NIS.

Below are two screenshots, where I went to the Chase website and put in travel for Israel, with the Chase warning that my action could not be completed. For the Palestinian territories, my request was accepted. I continued to try Cuba, Afghanistan, Syria, Iraq and Iran-all were not accepted, along with Israel.

________________________________________________________________________________




Chase told me that my card would possibly work but that they cannot guarantee it. I am now completely locked out of Chase but I will try again tomorrow.

In tweeting them, I finally received the Tweet, attached, that Chase now cites OFAC as why they can't process my request. I have a credit card, United card through Chase (probably white labeled), my travel notification works OK there so this appears to be a "business decision" and not a US government decision.
Here's the tweet:

OFAC's only public list is of countries that are under sanctions, at the moment. Israel is of course not on any of them, and there is a sanctions wiki that seems comprehensive.

This is very weird, and Chase should explain this policy which only seems to affect their debit cards, not credit cards. Although it is true that far more damage can be done to a consumer from having their debit card hacked than a credit card, so perhaps Chase is assuming Israel is a country that it is likely for people to be defrauded.

Either way, people who travel to Israel should know about things like this before they go so they can make appropriate decision.


We have lots of ideas, but we need more resources to be even more effective. Please donate today to help get the message out and to help defend Israel.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

EoZTV Podcast

Powered by Blogger.

follow me

search eoz

Recent posts from other blogs

subscribe via email

comments

Contact

translate

E-Book

source materials

reference sites

multimedia

source materials for Jewish learning

great places to give money

media watch

humor

.

Source materials

Sample Text

EoZ's Most Popular Posts Ever

follow me

Followers


pages

Random Posts

Pages - Menu

Elder of Ziyon - حـكـيـم صـهـيـون

Donate!

Tweets

Compliments

Monthly subscription:
Subscription options

One time donation:

Interesting Blogs

Categories

Best posts of 2016

Blog Archive

compliments

Algemeiner: "Fiercely intelligent and erudite"

Omri: "Elder is one of the best established and most respected members of the jblogosphere..."
Atheist Jew:"Elder of Ziyon probably had the greatest impression on me..."
Soccer Dad: "He undertakes the important task of making sure that his readers learn from history."
AbbaGav: "A truly exceptional blog..."
Judeopundit: "[A] venerable blog-pioneer and beloved patriarchal figure...his blog is indispensable."
Oleh Musings: "The most comprehensive Zionist blog I have seen."
Carl in Jerusalem: "...probably the most under-recognized blog in the JBlogsphere as far as I am concerned."
Aussie Dave: "King of the auto-translation."
The Israel Situation:The Elder manages to write so many great, investigative posts that I am often looking to him for important news on the PalArab (his term for Palestinian Arab) side of things."
Tikun Olam: "Either you are carelessly ignorant or a willful liar and distorter of the truth. Either way, it makes you one mean SOB."
Mondoweiss commenter: "For virulent pro-Zionism (and plain straightforward lies of course) there is nothing much to beat it."
Didi Remez: "Leading wingnut"